The basic components:
early each week (usually Tuesday) an email is sent to find out who would like to play, and which days and times players are available. On Sunday evening, players are matched up based on availability and level of play. Also, hopefully, the opponent will not have played against the opponent the previous week. There are 2 ladders: men's and women's.
As with all West View leagues, there is only a week to week commitment. Simply reply each week whether you are or not available. If you go on vacation or are injured, no penalty whatsoever. Just pick up where you left off.
Policies/Rules for the Singles Ladder League:
1) Matches between players are best 2 of 3 sets. If you split sets, play a 10 point tiebreaker to determine the winner. If the match is not completed, the winner is the player who has won more games.
2) The league is set up in a ladder format. If you have defeated an opponent below you on the ladder, the ladder order remains the same. If you have defeated an opponent above you less than 5 places, you replace your opponent on the ladder, and your opponent will be immediately below you; if it is more than a 4 place difference, the player above you moves down 1 place while you move up 2 places.
3) If you don't play during any month, you drop 3 positions on the ladder. If you don't play for 2 consecutive months, you drop to the bottom of the ladder ... we don't want someone at the top of the ladder to stay there by not playing.
4) If you have to cancel your match, you can do so up to 24 hours before the match. If a match is cancelled less than 24 hours before the match is scheduled, the person responsible for the cancellation must pay his share of the court time, $20 or $22 +tax or set up another time with his opponent and West View within 1 week of the scheduled match. We set up the match in good faith based on your email reply so shouldn't be responsible for losing the entirety of the court time.
5) If you don't call or show up for a match, you are responsible for the cost of the court ($40 or $42 +tax). If it happens a second time, you will be removed from the league (we need to trust that players will be responsible).